Sunday 16 November 2008

V&A

ONEandTHREEchairs was an early piece of conceptual art movement, made in 1965 by Joseph Kosuth. If I would be asked what thing do I associate with art of period of 60-ties and 70-ties of XX century, my answer would be
A CHAIR.
I come from the eastern block of the iron curtain and was only able to see things like the exclusive Pesce's chair in catalogs of unreachable stuff. All of those products looked like candies and were almost like James Bond accessories which you would never have. Of course when I was born the cold war was ending, and the iron curtain falling, but in a way it was still very present in our lives and I felt that it influenced my life as well. So at the museum I would just stare at those with my childish desire...
Djinn Chair by OLIVIER MOURGUEGAETANO PESCE's designs

PETER GHYCZY's
work, which I searched further
and found some other designs
which I really like. His website is HERE.


EERO AARNIO
whose work is as iconographic,
as it can get. I love Scandinavian
approach to design,
so I was really happy to see
those chairs in real life.


PIERRE PAULIN's ribbon chair.
Dondolo rocking chair by
CESARE LEONARDI & FRANCA STAGI


GREG LYNN's
Ravioli chair.



I believe in design like this. It is honest and reliable, celebrating humanity and exciting. I love the fact that it is strong and colorful not like current interiors covered in gray and beige, with a transparent tenant inside.

a city - DIGRESSION
For my RSA project I did resource some websites about cities and communities. In the V&A exhibition I found ideas which competitive countries were inventing. What I found appealing is that the attitude towards the city as an object was extremely positive. Knowing what we know now, I would question the slogan:
Save our planet, save our cities!
I think that it contradicts itself. It also have been brought to attention by the organizers of the whole exhibition that the viewed period was contributing in an enormous way to the global warming effect which we'll have to deal in the future.
Interesting issue is also looking at Walking Cities, by a member of ARCHIGRAM Which was an idea about creating portable cities and communities. The attitude towards the city itself was full of admiration and pride. I would question this now.

As if all you can do here is leave
and plunge, never to return, into the depths.

Into unfathomable life.
(from Utopia by Wislawa Szymborska)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I thought Archigram were fantastic visionaries....
This site might interest you, fold out environments? is the an idea here?
http://www.archigram.net/projects_pages/auto_env.html

A

NATKA said...

Great link, thanks for that! nat