Tuesday 4 November 2008

Energy Saving Trust Scary Footprint :(


So, as I was suggested, I looked further at the resources on the Energy Saving Trust Website. I have made a test assessing my carbon footprint. It was considerably high. And I am far too unhappy with it. A lot of that score has to do with the fact that the property I live in is quite old, has single glazing, and drafts are quite common. My appliances are considerably new, but they are small and not really suitable for me and my child. I need a freezer. That means that I do own my personal fridge/freezer and still need to run a little fridge.

My heating is gas and I do not intend to pay myself for insulation in my flat, as it it my landlords job.
I travel by plane and am at my family home at least 4 times a year, which means return journeys.

From the good things I do not own other mean of transport rather than a bike and I use public transport on my longer journeys.

It seems that I consume the energy mainly for my house and using far too much air transport.
It feels trapped. I am not going to be renovating my flat as it is not mine and I can't afford it. I want to be able to see my parents and I would prefer to come over there by train, but at the moment such a journey is not as straightforward as it should be, and takes a lot of time which I do not have.

No matter that, I was given a CO2 emission target plan and I am going to use it, when I can.


No comments: