Tuesday 28 October 2008

Dygression No. 1 - Making Big look Small and WHY?

I find ecological problems not being treated seriously because of difficulty in finding clear measurement system to bring the issues closer to people. Ecology basically says: if you are not going to be energy efficient, you and your families are going to face catastrophe. But being serious, the weakness of science in here, is that it is completely vague. It predicted that the climate would change, and it is, but shifting a responsibility of that, on a personal DVD player, is probably looking as an over dramatic attitude. But that in turn is connected to SHARED RESPONSIBILITY ISSUES, which I know quite well from from the culture of communist country which I grew up in. Everything then was owned by state, it belonged to everybody - meant nobody.
It is similar with the environmentalists movement. Our Planet is strictly too BIG to be owned by somebody, and the responsibility of keeping it alive spreads over too many people. I think that stressing this is not a way froward. The question arising here for me is: How to show to somebody that the planet belongs to them? How to make the planet, look small and reachable, so to make these issues more personal and important?

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

I always seem to meet people across the world that just happen to come from where I did or know someone I used to know. I met a man last week that worked in the town I grew up in! I had to say, "It is a small world". It is true!

I believe that everything I do and the choices I make every day affect everyone on the planet. It all trickles down someone, somehow. If you look at the economy for example, one country begins to have trouble and down the line several other countries feel the impact.